Educational Resources for Global Child Health
- The Pediatric Residency Global Health Training Program Starter Resources Guide is full of helpful resources for anyone starting or growing their global health training programs grouped by subject. This document is a master-file of resources and includes must read articles, ready to implement curricula, and links we suggest you download it now.
- A second master document on Preparation for a GH Elective includes planning documents, packing lists, insurance information, and links to curricula and is loaded with time-saving tools for residents and residency program educators. Again, we suggest you download it now.
Additional resources for starting a program can be found below.
- PDFs and Guides
- Pediatric Residency Global Health Training Program Starter Resources Guide
- Preparation Packet for Global Health Electives
- Useful tools for your learners/residents
- A World Health Organization manual highly recommended for residents during global health electives is the Pocket Book of Hospital Care for Children: Guidelines for the Management of Common Illnesses with Limited Resources. Available for purchase or FREE by PDF in several languages: Free PDF Download
- WHO Model Formulary for Children: Based on the second model list of essential medicines for children 2009. World Health Organization. 2010
- Emergency Triage Assessment and Treatment: A manual for participants. World Health Organization. 2005.
- Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (IMCI) Chart Booklet. World Health Organization. 2008.
- Global Health Curriculum Toolkit: A collection of resources for developing global child health curricula.
- AAP Global offers the AAP International Website designed for pediatricians and other child health professional working on improving child health all over the world. This Website presents information about international program, with activities focused on child advocacy, pediatric education, membership, networking opportunities, publications and journals.
- Consortium of Universities for Global Health has compiled a number of excellent resources for global health students and educators, including clinical case studies, a compilation of online global health resources, and training modules.
- The Global Health eLearning Center developed by the USAID Bureau of Global Health provides access to technical public health information. These free internet-based courses provide useful and timely continuing education for health professionals; offer state-of-the-art technical content on key public health topics; and, serve as a practical resource for increasing public health knowledge.
- Other organizations with resources for global child health educators
- Videos developed to train front-line health workers in resource-limited settings. These can be downloaded prior to travel and shared in country.
- Procedural Education for Adaptation to Resource Limited Settings (PEARLS): demonstration videos of procedural technique adaptations for use in reosurce-limited settinfs
- Oxford Handbook of Tropical Medicine. Eddleston M, Davidson R, Brent A, Wilkinson R. 3rd Ed. 2008.
- Textbook of Global Child Health. (D. Kamat, P. Fischer.): A comprehensive reference that combines travel medicine, practicing medicine in other countries, and reviews diseases endemic in the tropics and resource-limited areas.
Note: In late Fall, 2016, we will house an interactive resource guide here for programs starting pediatric global health education programs. Many of these resources can be found on this page currently, but check back soon for an interactive user friendly tool.